Monday 10 January 2011

New book on it's way!

It has accured to me that an interesting way to develop this blog might be to find a book that is in someway inspired by the last one I read. I should thus end up with an interesting literary line of connection. It's an experiment I would love to do for internet browsing actually - to collect data from different people about the first website they look at in a day to the last and to see the various leaps and twists that led from one to the other.
But that is perhaps best reserved for another time and another blog. For now I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of 'The Lore of the Playground' by Steve Round.

Lore of The Playground on Amazon

This is inspired by one of the footnotes in Derren Brown's 'Confessions of a Conjurer' where he recollected using the term 'Vainlights' (or one of it's many variants - we used 'Feign nights' in our school) as a term of immunity or truce when playing games at school. This little aside got me thinking about the term and eventaully led to the discovery of this book which I shall review at the earliest possible opportunity.

In the meantime, feel free to comment with your own recollections of any 'truce' terms used in your schools, or any that you know in use today.

No comments:

Post a Comment